Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: pam_console bug

From: lcamtuf () DIONE IDS PL (Michal Zalewski)
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 09:51:54 +0200

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Benjamin Smee wrote:

As a NORMAL user this would load the keymap for ALL consoles. Initially
I didnt think it was anything new as in the man page I found:
[...]

Uh, problem is even worse, I decided not to post it... tty users may for
example do PIO_CMAP ioctl, rendering all consoles unusable. Many dangerous
ioctls() are available for users simply having open fd to /dev/ttyX,
fortunately you might call ioctl() only when you're logged on console,
logout causes hang up of the tty device. To do it again, you must log
locally one more time.

Michal Zalewski [lcamtuf () tpi pl] [tp.internet/security]
[http://lcamtuf.na.export.pl] <=--=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};:
=-----=> God is real, unless declared integer. <=-----=