Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Denial of service attack against tcpdump

From: antirez () LINUXCARE COM (antirez)
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 20:39:52 +0200

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 07:46:33PM -0400, bretonh () PARANOIA PGCI CA wrote:
There is a way to disable tcpdump running on a remote host.  By sending a

This isn't new, check:
Pine.LNX.4.05.9905301511370.9647-101000 () nb in-berlin
de">http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?list=1&date=1999-06-1&msg=Pine.LNX.4.05.9905301511370.9647-101000
 () nb in-berlin de</A>

If this jump offset is set to its own location and if a program trying to
decompress the domain name does not have any type of counter or strategy to
avoid infinite loops, then the program will jump to the same offset in the
packet over and over again.

Yep: since the DNS name compression does NOT allows to point to some offset
that contain pointers the fix is really simple.

Only the "j" variable was added.  The 256 jump limit is discutable, but this is
only my humble suggestion of a temporary fix.

256 jumps are not allowed, a name can contain a pointer to some offset
with nul-terminated labels (RFC1035).

One might wonder, however, if this type of bug could also be present in
other software that also extracts domain names from UDP packets containing
DNS queries or reply.  I would suggest anyone running software that inspects
contents of DNS traffic to test themselves against this.

Sebastian reported tcpdump vulnerable, Etherreal vulnerable, bind not
vulnerable, but the posting is dated "Sun May 30 1999 15:32:58".

regards,
antirez

--
Salvatore Sanfilippo, Open Source Developer, Linuxcare Italia spa
+39.049.8024648 tel, +39.049.8036484 fax