Bugtraq mailing list archives

Wemilo

From: cassius () HUSHMAIL COM (cassius () HUSHMAIL COM)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 22:37:59 -0800

On every Cart32 installation I have looked at, cart32clientlist will accept
any string or nothing at all.
No password is required to view the client list and password hashes.

Does hexing 'wemilo' out of the exe prevent this?

Also, I have seen one site where they edited the HTML of cart32clientlist
like this:
<input type=password name="xxxxxxx">

This is useless and does not prevent anyone from creating a local copy
with a full path to cart32.exe and a valid input field like this:
<input type=password name="Cart32Password">

-Cassius

To: BUGTRAQ () SECURITYFOCUS COM
Subject: Re: Alert: Cart32 secret password backdoor (CISADV000427)

Greetings,

I have a client using cart32 2.6 so I went to the cart32clientlist url
mentioned in the alert and sure enough if dumped the hashed password
list.  I high-tailed it over there and open up the cart32.exe and was
unable
to find the "wemilo" password anywhere.  Now this could be my fault, heck
I haven't touched a hex editor in ages, but still it prompted me to go
back
to the clientlist url and try some random charecters instead of "wemilo".
Well, it happily dumped the client list again.  Just to make sure it wasn't
just me I went out on the web and tried it at several sites running cart32
(2.6 and 3.0) and all but one case it dumped the client list.  The one
that didn't show a list DID show the open database messages so I think
maybe it just wasn't set up.  I may be missing something here but it seems
to me you don't have to even know the "backdoor password" to dump the
client list and hashes.

my 2 cents,
-Bill

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  If you are not using HushMail, this message could have been read easily by the many people who have
access to your open personal email messages.