Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UDP packet handling weird behaviour of various operating systems

From: Cade Cairns <cairnsc () securityfocus com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:39:23 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Michal Zalewski wrote:

Uh-huh. Tested it on Linux 2.2 and 2.4, can't confirm the problem. It
would be pretty strange, btw, since it simply generates normal UDP packet,
no black magic, really, and remote system, unless there's comast service
running, politely responds with 'ICMP destination port unreachable', which
is translated into 'Connection refused'.

After Stefan made his post to Bugtraq, I performed a few tests on machines
running Linux 2.2.14 and Linux 2.4.0.  I wrote a simple test program to
send a large number of small messages to an arbitrary serviceless port on
the target machines.

I was able to reproduce the problem on a slower (400mhz) machine running
2.4.0, it virtually stopped responding until the flood ended.

Cade Cairns
SecurityFocus
http://www.securityfocus.com/