Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UDP packet handling weird behaviour of various operating systems

From: Stefan Laudat <stefan () mail allianztiriac ro>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 01:43:37 +0300

Uh-huh. Tested it on Linux 2.2 and 2.4, can't confirm the problem. It
would be pretty strange, btw, since it simply generates normal UDP packet,
no black magic, really, and remote system, unless there's comast service
running, politely responds with 'ICMP destination port unreachable', which
is translated into 'Connection refused'.

Hmm. How many seconds did you actually run that?

Nothing magic about its behavior:

Did I mentioned it's magic? Guess not :-/

Maybe there's comsat service running? Or you made system too busy handling
I/O by flooding using 1 Gbit (I doubt it)...

As I said, NO.

Windows are usually impacted by high-ratio packet floods.

Not this time.

I believe you are actually testing link layer performance, PCI bus speed
and network cards, not operating systems ;)

Believe it or not, I got a OpenBSD-2.9 current hanged up out there.
I'll test further systems.
What amazed me was different types of system reaction with different
drivers at different links.

--
Michal Zalewski [lcamtuf () bos bindview com] [security]
[http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx] <=-=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};:

--
Stefan Laudat
CCNA,CCAI