Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UDP packet handling weird behaviour of various operating systems

From: "Sean Hunter" <sean () uncarved com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:56:15 +0100

I was entirely unable to duplicate the problem on my linux-2.4.7 box, and this
is why:

Firstly, I apply some rate throttling on incoming and outgoing packets thussly...

#jump to connection throttling table
$IPTABLES -t filter -A INPUT -j in-throttle

echo -n "    rate throttling: "
#syn flood limit
$IPTABLES -t filter -A in-throttle -j RETURN        -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST,ACK SYN     -m limit --limit
10/sec
$IPTABLES -t filter -A in-throttle -j rate-logdrop  -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST,ACK SYN
#rst flood limit
$IPTABLES -t filter -A in-throttle -j RETURN        -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK RST -m limit --limit
10/sec
$IPTABLES -t filter -A in-throttle -j rate-logdrop  -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK RST
$IPTABLES -t filter -A in-throttle -j RETURN        -p tcp
#icmp rate limit
$IPTABLES -t filter -A in-throttle -j RETURN        -p icmp                                       -m limit --limit
25/sec
$IPTABLES -t filter -A in-throttle -j RETURN        -p udp                                        -m limit --limit
25/sec
#log the flood
$IPTABLES -t filter -A in-throttle -j LOG -m limit --limit 10/min --log-prefix "FW-IN-THROTTLE: "

#enable this to debug inbound flood throttling
#$IPTABLES -t filter -A in-throttle -j RETURN
#normally this is the policy
$IPTABLES -t filter -A in-throttle -j DROP

...I do the same sort of thing outgoing.  YMMV, I am not a qualified doctor etc
etc etc.  You may have to tweak the limits to make them suitable for your site,
but they work for me.

The next reason is that I proc rate limit icmp traffic thussly:

net.ipv4.icmp_destunreach_rate = 50
net.ipv4.icmp_echoreply_rate = 50
net.ipv4.icmp_paramprob_rate = 50
net.ipv4.icmp_timeexceed_rate = 50

net.ipv4.icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses = 1
net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts = 1

On most modern linux systems you can add these lines to /etc/sysctl.conf and go
"sysctl -p" to install them.

on others you have to tweak /proc by hand, doing:

echo 50 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_destunreach_rate

etc etc.

Finally, you should really firewall all traffic (including, but not limited to,
biff) that you don't really really have to serve[1] and that goes for udp and
tcp.  And don't ignore the loopback interface or your local users may bite you.

Hope this helps

Sean

[1] Strangely, I need to open the biff port on the loopback interface or I get
packet logs.  I haven't had the chance to track that down yet.