Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UDP packet handling weird behaviour of various operating systems

From: Stefan Laudat <stefan () mail allianztiriac ro>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 01:48:04 +0300

Uh-huh. Tested it on Linux 2.2 and 2.4, can't confirm the problem. It
would be pretty strange, btw, since it simply generates normal UDP packet,
no black magic, really, and remote system, unless there's comast service
running, politely responds with 'ICMP destination port unreachable', which
is translated into 'Connection refused'.

One extra thing I haven't underlined so well in my announce: cisco routers
(and as well as other ones maybe) start crawling even forwarding the flood not
being the target itself only. Looks like an UDP handling problem for me :(
I have managed to kill a 7513 Cisco Router with DCEF enabled and loads of
other speed hacks. Try it for yourself :)

--
Stefan Laudat
CCNA,CCAI

"Let's call it an accidental feature."