Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Six Step IE Remote Compromise Cache Attack

From: "Thor Larholm" <thor () pivx com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:23:29 -0800

This post raises an interesting question. Is our goal to find new
vulnerabilities and attack vectors to help secure users and critical
infrastructures, or is our goal to ease exploitation of existing
vulnerabilities?

There are no new vulnerabilities or techniques highlighted in this
attack (which is what it is), just a combination of several already
known vulnerabilities. This is not a proof-of-concept designed to
highlight how a particular vulnerability works, but an exploit designed
specifically to compromise your machine. All a malicious viruswriter has
to do is exchange the EXE file.

Believe me, I am all in for full disclosure and detailing every aspect
of a vulnerability to prevent future occurances of similar threats, but
I don't particularly think that we should actively be trying to help
malicious persons.

Regards
Thor Larholm
Senior Security Researcher