Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Tool for Identifying Rogue Linksys Routers

From: Graham Wilson <graham () mknod org>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:32:31 -0500

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 11:48:38AM -0700, Martin Mkrtchian wrote:
We are migrating from Lucent QIP to MetaIP for DHCP services and so
far we have had two issues when MetaIP has been implemented for  VLAN
that has an unauthorized Linksys router giving out IP addresses.

Is there a scanning tool out there that can determine if there are
unauthorized Linksys (type) routers in a specific VLAN?

Try pinging all hosts using nmap:

 # nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24

Then look at the arp cache:

 # arp | grep ether

Then find MAC addresses that are from Linksys's space. I know macchanger
[1] has a list of what addresses belong to which vendors.

Hope this helps.

[1] http://www.alobbs.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=macc&file=index

--
gram