Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Tool for Identifying Rogue Linksys Routers

From: Dave Hull <ireadit () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:29:11 -0500

If the Linksys devices are DHCP clients themselves, you might be able
to use DHCPFingerprint to locate them when they renew their leases.

You may want to contact the folks at http://www.packetfence.org. They
may have a more comprehensive list of signatures.

Also, nmap may work, see
http://seclists.org/lists/nmap-dev/2003/Apr-Jun/0010.html for more
details.

Examining TTLs of packets coming from edge devices may also give you
some indication of who's sitting behind an extra hop, though some
folks may be savvy enough to tweak this on their workstations to avoid
detection.

Good luck.