Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Sending remote procedure calls through e-mail (RPC-Mail)

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 00:19:57 -0500

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 23:00, Chris Kuethe wrote:
If you're emailing the "reboot my entire empire" command back to your
world from a cybercafe, there's a not-insignificate chance that it
will get delayed a bit: stored then forwarded, buffered, spooled,
virus-scanned, etc.

A less malicious yet still annoying scenario comes to mind. How often
have you seen broken/confused MTAs resend the same message over and over
to a recipient/mail list. Imagine a broken intermediate SMTP relay
sending the same command over and over. While you may have intended to
reboot your PC once with this (silly imho) idea of sending commands via
email, a broken MTA may cause your PC to be rebooted every hour or so
(depending on the frequency of the broken mailers queue check/send
interval). I wonder how long that would take to debug...

RPC-Mail. Does that stand for Rarely Pondered Consequences?

Cheers,
Frank