Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Sending remote procedure calls through e-mail (RPC-Mail)

From: John Bryson <john.bryson () oit gatech edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:17:15 -0400

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 04:38, Peter Busser wrote:
Hi!

While I find portknocking ingenious, it is somewhat cumbersome and
overly complex for most users. I propose an alternative - send remote
procedure calls via e-mail. I've coded an application that fits the
bill: RPC-Mail.

First of all the term RPC is wrong in this context. A command is not the same
as a procedure.

Second, this ``RPC-Mail'' looks a lot like a subset of the UUCP functionality.
UUCP is based on store and forward and remote execution of commands. Most
people on this list have probably never seen or used UUCP, but before
Internet connections got affordable, it was used by many sites to be able to
send and receive e-mail and USENET news.

The premise of RPC-Mail is simple:
(1) Construct an e-mail message that has a command that you want one of
your remote PCs to execute.
(2) Send the e-mail to a special account that is only used by RPC-Mail.
(3) Have the remote PC set up with a scheduled task or cron job to
periodically execute the application RPC-Mail.py.
(4) When RPC-Mail.py executes, it parses all of the subject lines and
message bodies of e-mail messages that it finds. If the message body
contains a special passphrase, RPC-Mail executes the subject line as a
command, and returns standard output as an e-mail message.

For more information check out my full write up on:
http://www.sharp-ideas.net/

It would be better to sign and/or encrypt the message with GnuPG. E-mail can
be intercepted if it is not delivered directly to the target machine. And if
it is, it can be sniffed.

Portnocking is a clumsy way to implement remote authentication. Most
implementations are prone to replay attacks and therefore offer nothing more
than security through obscurity.

Groetjes,
Peter.

Yes, but wouldnt port knocking stop a lot of automated attacks? After
all canned scripts and some worms directly attack a known port, which
wouldnt be available without first doing the correct port knock for the
organization. It might be security thru obscurity, but it would still be
somewhat effective against this type of attack, right?

--
John Bryson