Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: This guy cracks me up.

From: "Jamie Riden" <jamesr () europe com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 08:09:07 +1200

On 05/09/06, Dave Aitel <dave () immunityinc com> wrote:

Do I understand this correctly to mean that:
If OS X security is worse than Microsoft, but we still don't see OS X
people getting hacked, then the only possible explanation is that only
the majority OS gets hacked?

If I did a reasonably good translation, then my comment would be that
perhaps it's because OS X users are so horribly bad at security that
they never notice when they get hacked? This can be compounded by
hackers not doing obvious things like stealing money from their OS X
targets or putting up pop-ups, etc. Likewise, I think it would be
affected by OS X being rarely used in a corporate environment, and
hence not protected by the typical corporate IT trappings.

Some numbers from a 2 and a half year stint at a local university:

OS X : no compromises observed, none reported
Linux: 4 (all SSH password guesses)
Windows: let's just say 'many'. Two to three orders of magnitude more
across the whole campus.

Now, I'm not going to draw any conclusions as the Linux machines
compromised all had inbound SSH access, where as OS X machines were
typically desktops. I'll just say the OS X people gave me less
headaches than anyone else - for whatever reason(s).

cheers,
 Jamie (confirmed Linux user)
--
Jamie Riden / jamesr () europe com / jamie.riden () gmail com
NZ Honeynet project - http://www.nz-honeynet.org/