Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: This guy cracks me up.

From: Bill Weiss <houdini+dailydave () clanspum net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:42:04 +0000

Just one question, inlined.

johnny cache(johnycsh () gmail com)@Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 07:17:27PM -0700:
  1) set up a netcat udp listener on the victim centrino box. (Why
  you actually need a listener is beyond me, but it seems to help)

I don't understand what this means. Does it mean that the victim
computer *must* be running a netcat udp listener for the attack to
work? If so, how would this be exploited in the wild?

No, in theory no open TCP/UDP ports should be required. Your wireless
device driver has no idea what layer 4 ports are open and it should be
treating all data packets the same at this point.  My guess is that
having an open port influences the delicate timing I described earlier.

(content removed)

If you were to implement this using a patched kernel, or found some
other way to inject packets at a faster rate, I suspect no open ports
would be required.  Hard to say for sure though.

Have you tried the in-kernel "packet generator"?  The docs seem to say
that it can generate traffic quickly.  I haven't had a reason to play
with it yet so I can't say if it would serve the purpose.

--
Bill Weiss