Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: classifying P2P traffic

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:47:36 -0500

John Kristoff wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:18:55 -0600
"Julian Y. Koh" <kohster () NORTHWESTERN EDU> wrote:

dynamic subpartitions for our dorm/wireless/VPN IP ranges to limit
unclassifiable traffic to 512Kbps per host based on IP address.  But
overall it seems to be working quite well with that arrangement.

Does anyone just do that, per /32 (or something slightly larger),
limiters or dropping knobs and not bother trying to classify the app?

John

We are pretty darn close. Actually we use "playground monitor" rules.
Most traffic is well-behaved, and is dynamically and equitably
allocated. The bullies are restrained a bit so everyone can play fairly,
and the weaklings get priority treatment to keep those users happy. We
manage game traffic to minimize latency, for example, as well as VoIP,
video, that sort of thing.

It's not as easy as you describe, but nearly so. We still have to answer
the questions when things get slow at times, but more often these days
we're able to point to outside circumstances instead of having to take
the blame on our own network ;-)

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"There are millions of people out there making the world better
everyday; my guess is that you are one of them." -- Paige Doughty.