Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: classifying P2P traffic

From: John Kristoff <jtk () DEPAUL EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:09:14 -0600

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:47:36 -0500
Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM> wrote:

It's not as easy as you describe, but nearly so. We still have to answer
the questions when things get slow at times, but more often these days
we're able to point to outside circumstances instead of having to take
the blame on our own network ;-)

Thanks Cal.  I ask, because I partiallly implemented something that
did what I was suggesting using the unique prefix specific action
filter knobs on a Juniper border router.  For example:

   family inet {
          prefix-action psa-limit-resnet {
              policer 1Mbps;
              count;
              filter-specific;
              subnet-prefix-length 24;
              source-prefix-length 32;
          }

then later something like this applied to an interface facing resnet:

            term limit-resnet {
                from {
                    source-address {
                        /* resnet subnets here */
                        192.0.2.0/24;
                    }
                    protocol tcp;  /* at the time this made sense */
                }
                then {
                    sample;
                    next term;
                    prefix-action psa-limit-resnet;
                }
            }

The end result was to rate limit each /32 address to 1 Mb/s transmit
rate.

It seemed to work relatively well, but apparently after I was gone
and as newer code grew bigger and more things were added to the config
there was a hardware limitation with this particular M5 model that
prevented it from being used due.  As I recall the prefix specific
filters were put into some limited memory that was being exhausted.
I imagine the scenario has changed since, but it always seemed like
an easy and reasonable approach compared to app identification and
most middle box solutions.

John