Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: classifying P2P traffic

From: Alex <alex.everett () UNC EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:18:41 -0500

Mike:

You do bring up a very good point.
From a network perspective, we are running into some very difficult issues.
Applications no longer use static ports which we could block.
Good and bad can look similar from patterns (edonkey, storm worm).
Applications will try hard to get around deterrents (port hopping,
encryption, web).
We are all running into some issues, at some point they may not be
addressable by a network device.

Alex Everett, CISSP
University of North Carolina