Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Paging - How do you receive?

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 21:15:45 -0400

How do you receive your pages pertaining to security, network, server, and/or other equipment?

Most of us have cell phones these days.  Currently we send e-mails to the address that makes our phones receive a text
message.  One of the biggest problems, however, is that several of our technicians (including myself) do not get good
cell coverage where we live and/or travel each day.  Currently I rely on hearing my webmail alert at home, but that
means hearing normal e-mails as well.  We don't allow POP nor IMAP to our mail systems so I can't setup different
sounds for different messages (unless I use Outlook over RPC/HTTPS).  Given my home PC is slower than dirt, and I hate
being stuck in Windows, I don't consider that a great option.

So, what does everyone else do?  Do you pass around a pager to the on-call person, is there some sort of software you
run in the background on your home PC to play sounds on remote alarms, do you have something to dial your home/cell
number, ...?

Thanks for the suggestions,

Matt

Matthew Jenkins