Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Paging - How do you receive?

From: Allison Dolan <adolan () MIT EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 13:35:38 -0400

"Supposedly The IRS has made cell-phones some sort of taxable benefit"
Actually, the IRS has always been able to tax 'perks' that they feel
are insufficiently work related (e.g. country club memberships,
etc.).  Over the past several years, they've looked more closely at
cell phone. Given the number of flat rate plans and negotiated
contracts, it has been harder to distinguish 'business' from
'personal'.  Some places decided to give employees a flat amount per
month (e.g. $20) to cover the 'business' use of the cell.

Allison F. Dolan
Program Director, Protecting Personally Identifiable Information
MIT
(617) 252-1461