Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop whole disk encryption

From: Bret Ingerman <ingerman () VASSAR EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:18:42 -0400

We used to use PGP for our laptop encryption (and some desktops). We originally chose it due to it being cross-platform
and due to it having an enterprise console that we could use to show when a laptop was last encrypted.  The PGP folks
were great to work with and offered quick updates.  Well, PGP was bought by Symantec and things went downhill for us.
Symantec was not as quick with updates which caused problems for both PC and Mac laptops when OS updates caused
encrypted machines to not boot (PGP is a pre-boot solution).  There were also a lot of support issues as those bricked
machines needed to have a technician come and install the necessary patches (which were not end-user friendly).  So we
started to look and came across Credant, which we have purchased from Dell (which Dell calls "Dell Data Protection").
The solution woks either pre- or post-boot (we have chosen the latter) and the company offers excellent technical
support.

  --Bret