Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Upgrade

From: Chris Davis <Chris.Davis () PRIN EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 16:33:25 +0000

Hi Dan.

I also did a firewall upgrade about a year and a half ago.   I liked Palo Alto but it was extremely expensive.  I
believe it was because they didn't have an offering sized to the amount of bandwidth we had at the time.  I really
wanted to use a next generation type firewall, and while I believe Palo Alto defines the concept, I went with a
Fortinet device and it has been terrific.  I have no complaints about my setup.  I was able to set up 2 high available
2 firewall clusters and get support and local engineering help to install and all the other hardware to construct the
cluster for less than the price of just a single PA box.  The cost for a similar PA setup would have been staggering.
I would look at both again in an instant.  They use a lot of the same kinds of techniques, but if you want App based
controls, the PA is further along that line than Fortinet.  But they both do a lot of the other things in similar ways,
similar features, low latency processing, etc.

Chris

We are looking into upgrading our Firewall. I was wondering if anyone had anything to offer in regards to what you are
using and the pros/cons associated to it.

Thanks,

Dan