Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: gamer clubs

From: Patrick Menard <pmenard () UNL EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 21:54:24 +0000

I'm not sure if it still an issue, but a number of years ago there were concerns about file sharing and students
setting up gaming servers.  The solution put in place at the time was to have an incoming quota on traffic originating
from off-campus.  If an IP hit that quota, it was put into a bandwidth-throttled segment for the rest of the day, with
the quota resetting at 5 am.

The result was that for those students consuming lots of traffic, the network would get a huge spike at 5 am, which
would gradually diminish by about 7 am after all the big offenders hit the limit and were put in the throttled segment.
  I think there were fewer than 100 IP's (out of about 10,000 students) affected each day, and the network performance
for the rest of the student network improved as a result.