Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: VPN Concentrator replacement

From: Brian Epstein <bepstein () IAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 00:42:32 -0400

We were using Pulse Secure (aka JunOS Pulse) but found it to require too
much Java and was starting to become difficult to support.

After interviewing numerous vendors and solutions, we ended up settling on
a commercial license with OpenVPN.  We run their OpenVPNAS servers and have
it set up with Duo.

There were a few hiccups along the way, but we found that support and the
developers were very helpful and resolved our issues quickly.

The price is very affordable, and it works cross platform (Windows, Mac,
Linux, Chromebook, iOS, and Android).  Our users have given a lot of
positive feedback about the speed and reliability of they product.

It is really flexible for our environment.  It is an SSL VPN, so not
IPsec.  But it fits what we need.

Thanks,
ep

--
Brian Epstein <bepstein () ias edu>                     +1 609-734-8179
Manager, Network and Security           Institute for Advanced Study