Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Q on external router

From: tqbf () secnet com
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 19:59:41 -0500 (CDT)

    Do not rely on switches because switches are not designed for
security.

      Based on that logic, there's just about nothing you CAN
rely on, except death, taxes, and sendmail bugs.

I don't think that's very fair. It seems obvious to me that some systems
have more attention paid to them for security (VMailer, for instance) than
others (like Sendmail). My confidence in VMailer is much greater than my
confidence in Sendmail, to the point where I'd be willing to consider
deploying VMailer in circumstances where Sendmail's lack of reliability is
prohibitive.

Same goes for switches and link-layer security.

Thomas H. Ptacek                                        Secure Networks, Inc.
http://www.enteract.com/~tqbf    "If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"