Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Q on external router

From: tqbf () secnet com
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:15:18 -0500 (CDT)

Thus, in my opinion (but have a look at my email address to see
that I could be biased ;-) ), the switch can increase the DMZ security
if:
- it uses static mapping
- as you put part of your security in the switch configuration, you
  must obviously secure your switch config (OTP, ACL, management via
  console only, ...)

What about problems that fault the switch itself? We have seen bugs that
crash 3Com switches due to poor IP stack implementation; Cisco is aware of
bugs that affect their Catalyst platforms as well. What assurance do we
have that switches are implemented with the same attention to security as
firewalls?

Thomas H. Ptacek                                        Secure Networks, Inc.
http://www.enteract.com/~tqbf    "If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"