Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Q on external router

From: Eric Vyncke <evyncke () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 07:46:57 +0200

At 19:59 23/04/98 -0500, tqbf () secnet com wrote:
   Do not rely on switches because switches are not designed for
security.

     Based on that logic, there's just about nothing you CAN
rely on, except death, taxes, and sendmail bugs.

I don't think that's very fair. It seems obvious to me that some systems
have more attention paid to them for security (VMailer, for instance) than
others (like Sendmail). My confidence in VMailer is much greater than my
confidence in Sendmail, to the point where I'd be willing to consider
deploying VMailer in circumstances where Sendmail's lack of reliability is
prohibitive.

Same goes for switches and link-layer security.

Even more unfair... I agree with you regarding Vmailer/sendmail but
I would compare sendmail = hub and vmailer = switch. The former
has little security in it (let's assume that a hub is a very bugged
switch) while the latter has more security.

Vmailer/switch are not secure enough to use them alone for security,
you used them with other devices, don't you ?

I stop here because, the smell of religious war is becoming apparent

-eric

Thomas H. Ptacek                                       Secure Networks, Inc.
http://www.enteract.com/~tqbf  "If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"

Eric Vyncke
Technical Consultant               Cisco Systems Belgium SA/NV
Phone:  +32-2-778.4677             Fax:    +32-2-778.4300
E-mail: evyncke () cisco com          Mobile: +32-75-312.458