Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: are firewalls limited to only protecting ehternet connections?

From: JSK <jsk347 () sprynet com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:45:21 -0500

Wow...there's a new one for the list!  The closest thing I have heard of to
those kinds of speeds (and no where near HIPPI) is ATM firewalls running at
OC-3 with at least a promise of going to OC-12 'someday'.  You could check out
Network Systems Group of StorageTek (ATLAS ATM Firewall) and then talk to them
to see if they have that on the drawing board or not.  I'd be real curious to
know the answer too if anyone cares to post on this issue.  Thanks,

Steve Kruse
Secure Computing Corp.
jsk347 () sprynet com (personal)
skruse () securecomputing com (work)

DISCLAIMER:  I do not speak for Secure Computing in any matters posted here
unless specifically noted.

R. DuFresne wrote:

Howdy folks,

Here's the question and concern.  High bandwidth pipes, newer ones, we're
talking HIPPI pipes.  Are there any firewall implentations that can manage
such a connection?  Or is this too BIG a pipe and perhaps too new, and so
not available in existing implementations?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
        admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com
                  http://darkstar.sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!