Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: High Speed Firewalls

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:42:57 -0800 (PST)

From: "David Newman" <dnewman () networktest com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:39:54 -0500

[...snip...]
firewall imposes latency, but most certainly can ingest and eject
packets at line rates.
[...snip...]
to achieve in practice, and achieving line-rate throughput in a
firewall is likely to be hard.  Possible, but hard.

[...snip...]

My contention is that it is not possible to ftp a 12.5-Mbyte (100-Mbit) file
through a firewall with 100Base-T interfaces in 1 second, even though the
interfaces are theoretically capable of moving traffic at that rate. Even a
perfect firewall will still have to deal with packet headers, TCP connection
setup and tear down, and its own inspection engine -- and all that pushes us
over our 1-second budget. Ergo, there's no such thing as "line-rate"
throughput from an application perspective. Any claim that a firewall does
so (and I've heard several such claims) is a lie.

From the application layer perspective, I believe that 12.5 Mbyte is
the theoretical maximum.  Practical throughput is, about, 80% of
max...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks