Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: High Speed Firewalls

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:08:27 -0800 (PST)

From: "David Newman" <dnewman () networktest com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:39:54 -0500
My contention is that it is not possible to ftp a 12.5-Mbyte (100-Mbit) file
through a firewall with 100Base-T interfaces in 1 second, even though the
interfaces are theoretically capable of moving traffic at that rate. Even a
perfect firewall will still have to deal with packet headers, TCP connection
setup and tear down, and its own inspection engine -- and all that pushes us
over our 1-second budget. Ergo, there's no such thing as "line-rate"
throughput from an application perspective. Any claim that a firewall does
so (and I've heard several such claims) is a lie.

That has mostly to do with things like round-trip delays for handshakes,
and TCP slow start.  If you take a sample out of the middle of such a
connection, for a much longer file, it will look better.

I think at some point, your constraining factor might get to be
latency.  The window size can only get to be 64K, right?

                                Ryan