Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAT Pseudo Security

From: salgak () speakeasy net
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 14:57:13 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee T. Christie [mailto:Lee.Christie () mosaicinfo org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2004 02:25 PM
To: firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com
Subject: [fw-wiz] NAT Pseudo Security

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were utilizing NAT as your only
security mechanism, for protection from the Internet.  I realize that NAT was
not designed for security purposes.  For instance, if network A is connecting
to the Internet behind a router performing NAT, no incoming address or port
forwarding, what are my risks, from outside hosts?  The way I see it by
implementing a SOHO firewall I gain a) Ingress and Egress packet control b)
Statefull inspection or proxy inspection c) A potentially hardened OS on the
unit d) Logging and Reporting e) Secure management

In my year at a dot-com, I came in to find NAT was being used as a firewall.  I fixed THAT shortly after I took over as
admin.  I also replaced Symantec with SOPHOS, as our subscription was ending and at the time, an auto-update function
of Symantec corporate had the nasty habit of crashing our domain controller. . . .

ANY firewall is better than NO firewall, period. . .