Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: NAT Pseudo Security

From: "Sloane, David" <DSloane () vfa com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 12:25:04 -0400

Lee,

How secure are your workstations which access the Internet?  Do users
have limited local-system privileges while accessing the web?  Do you
restrict potentially risky browser functions (Java?  ActiveX?
JavaScript?) at the workstation level?  At a proxy?  Do you have
peer-to-peer applications running outbound traffic from your network?
Do you have remote-control applications running outbound from your
network (VNC, PlaceWare, GoToMyPC)?

If your workstations aren't hardened in some fashion, they'll pick up
all kinds of junk through "normal" web surfing.  If you don't do any
egress filtering, curious/creative/malicious/bored/reckless people will
take risks with the Internet whether or not they mean to.

Even with egress-only access to the Internet, there are plenty of risks
to go around.  On Windows machines, Internet Explorer and Outlook
provide a variety of openings for unsuspecting or reckless users to have
their machine taken over, even with all the patches applied.

Even if you only allow port 80 out, unless you're managing the traffic
or the workstations (or, even better, both) pretty tightly, you'll still
get p2p, streaming media, and remote control applications "tunneling"
out and bringing back all manner of nastiness.

This is why Managed Personal Firewall and Anti-Virus vendors make so
much money - the flaws in  Windows-based systems and the prevalence of
Local-Superuser privileges make bad code very hard to keep out.

So, to your question, a real firewall is one of the cheapest measures
you can take to secure your network.  But it's really just the
beginning.

-David