IDS mailing list archives

RE: SNORT: MAC Address Alert

From: "Jorge Coll" <jcoll () commonx com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:45:35 -0400

The method discussed here involves sniffing out the already known MAC
address.  What if the attacker changes his/her MAC?  How then will you
know if you are sending SPAM?

You should sniff the wire for SMTP "talk".  If you telnet to any server
(guy please correct me) I believe that the response would first be a
"220."  You could setup your sniffer to match those 3 bytes from the
payload and then send the MAC and IP to your mobile.

Does the AP support MAC Locking?  You might also look into that.

- jc