IDS mailing list archives

useful real-life example of IDS/IPS

From: Shai Rubin <shai () cs wisc edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:17:32 -0600

Hello all,

I'm looking for a real-life case in which an IDS/IPS, if it had been deployed, could have prevented a security breach.

In particular, I'm looking for a case in which:

1. A hacker penetrates an organization's network using a known vulnerability (e.g., MS DCOM).
2. At that time, the organization does not use an IDS/IPS.
3. However, at the same time, there are commercially available devices that could have prevented the attack. By this I mean, a device that by that time, already had a signature that could have stopped the hacker above.

Vendors are welcome to suggest such cases, but all information must be publicly available.

Thanks

Shai Rubin

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?