IDS mailing list archives

Re: Testing IDS with tcpreplay

From: Bob Walder <bwalder () spamcop net>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:38:33 +0100

Again - I have to agree - GIGO is a huge problem but that is no reason to
reject replay tools out of hand. Greg mentioned that some testers fail to
break out the Ethereal - well those testers should be avoided!

We run the exploits live and verify the result. We capture that traffic,
including traffic from any root/admin shell we get. We vet the PCAP
carefully. We then run the PCAP through the replay tool and capture THAT
traffic, checking for typical problems such as invalid checksums, TTL values
which have been changed, etc, etc. If that traffic is no good we don't run
that particular exploit through a reply tool, we only run it live.

If we get an unexpected "miss" in the lab, we are always ready to run the
live exploit. And we do still run a good proportion of live exploits anyway,
when we are aware that they cause problems with some replay tools. In other
words, the replay tool is just ONE in the armoury for the serious tester.

However, for the casual tester (i.e. The guy who just installed Snort and
wants to make sure it is detecting something) then the replay tool with a
GOOD set of PCAPs is all he really needs - no need to bother with live
exploits at all. Then every time he gets a software update or makes config
changes, he can simply replay his PCAPs and make sure everything is still OK

Horse for courses IMHO - to say "replay tools bad, live exploits good" all
the time is a bit extreme.

Bob