IDS mailing list archives

Re: Testing IDS with tcpreplay

From: Bob Walder <bwalder () spamcop net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:59:48 +0100

I should point out that that is exactly what we have to do. We run the same
Metasploit exploit multiple times if it offers options (auto-version,
XP-only, W2K-only, etc) and then we run it against multiple targets, and so
on and so forth to go through all the possible permutations. We will then
find other exploit tools or live variations of the same exploit and do the
same with them (to make sure the IPS cannot ONLY detect the Metasploit
version).

Where possible, we will also modify live exploits to change the traffic on
the wire whilst accomplishing the same end (i.e. A simplistic example: if
the live exploit loads a buffer with all "A"s we will change that to
randomise the buffer content to make sure that the IPS vendor is looking for
a buffer overflow and not just looking for a bunch of "A"s). Where we cannot
modify the exploit, we can often modify the PCAP

For each test case in our test suite we might have 20, 30, 40 actual replays
to cover a wide range of permutations (though no one would be stupid enough
to claim they cover ALL possible permutations, even running only live
exploits).

And yes, we STILL run live exploits too.... horses for courses....

Bob Walder