IDS mailing list archives

Re: An insider attack scenario

From: Tommy May <tommymay () comcast net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 19:04:22 +0000 (UTC)

In many deployments, the management interfaces are in a different logical zone than those interfaces which are actually
monitoring vs. inspecting...  So I would say that while there is some plausibility to your scenario, its really in the
configuration and deployment strategy of the IDS/IPS that allows it to go undetected.  In a nutshell, an insider never
really knows where the true "monitor windows" are without sufficient need to know (operational support role...etc.)
especially if the IDS is configured to not do reverse DNS lookups, as it should be.

Tommy