IDS mailing list archives

AW: An insider attack scenario

From: "Daniel, Akos" <a.daniel () drillisch-telecom de>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:56:31 +0200

Hi,

Have you heard about NAC and HIPS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Access_Control
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_based_intrusion_detection_system

Those tools will see what you do. And if the Firewalls and IPS and HIPS and NAC cooperate with a SIM/SIEM* than you
'have to run'! :-)

My example from the future:
1. The switch realise a new port activated -> sign it to SIM
2. The NAC realise your scan (or any unusual things) from the newly opened port -> sign it to SIM
3. The HIPS on host realises the scan (or any unusual things) as well -> sign it to SIM and to the Firewall
4. Firewall reacts and denies any traffic that goes through with your IP -> you may sign it
5. In the NOC** the SIM GUI is opened on a monitor and on the left corner of this monitor a camera display - from the
room where the port is patched - appears
6. The camera sees you, the security guard get a phone call from NOC
7. I wake up from my sweet dreams :-)

*SIM:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_security_incident_management
**NOC: