IDS mailing list archives

Re: An insider attack scenario

From: Jeremy Bennett <jeremyfb () mac com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:55:33 -0700

An IPS is very valuable both in protecting a DMZ and in protecting internal assets. However, it is not a panacea. A secure network topology should include department firewalls separating off subnets that have different access restrictions and individual hosts should be secured as well.

So, even if the IPS administrator was your internal attacker he or she should not be able to gain unauthorized access because other measures are in place.

To be honest an internal IPS would be one of the last security devices I would invest in when securing an internal network.

-J