funsec mailing list archives

Google Won't Remove "Failure" Link To Bush

From: "Fergie (Paul Ferguson)" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:02:26 GMT

Although not related to security, it _is_ hilarious. ;-)

Via TechWeb News:

[snip]

Google says it won't manually manipulate its search results, even when pranksters push unwarranted links to the top of
the results list with so-called "googlebombing" tactics.

The most recent embarrassment for Google? Type "failure" into the Google search field. The number one result: President
George W. Bush's official bio hosted by the White House Web site. "We've received some complaints recently from users
who assume that this reflects a political bias on our part," wrote Marissa Mayer, Google's director of consumer
products on the company's blog. "In this case, a number of webmasters use the phrases [failure] and [miserable failure]
to describe and link to President Bush's website, thus pushing it to the top of searches for those phrases. We don't
condone the practice of googlebombing, or any other action that seeks to affect the integrity of our search results,
but we're also reluctant to alter our results by hand in order to prevent such items from showing up."

[snip]

http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=170704578

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net