funsec mailing list archives

Re: crazy asm coders [was: efficient ASM code]

From: Nicolas Brulez <n.brulez () free fr>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:43:37 +0200

I'm sure _you_ know some who do!
Oh wait, /me close RADASM
hmm no no ;-)

I suspect that with the increasing interest in security, and the ever-
growing antivirus and anti-various-other-things industries, a lot of folk still "decode ASM". For example, I couldn't write anything useful in ASM, but pulling things apart in a debugger and/or disassembler and making sense of what they (are supposed to) do is an important part of my work, and to do that you have to have some undesrtanding of ASM...
Heh, definitely.
I only program in ASM actually, and i think it greatly help to analyse :).
I think ASM is very helpful when you are programming static unpackers or decryptors, especially with IDA !

I agree with you on the "understanding what they were supposed to do" ! I see too much buggy code.

Btw, Looking forward to meeting you at VB next month!

Cheers,

Nico