funsec mailing list archives

Re: MS Viri Beta

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 01:42:58 GMT

What about this? :-)

[snip]

You've heard Windows OneCare is Microsoft's attempt to wipe out the anti-virus and firewall vendors. You agree that it
oughta be free, since Microsoft Windows vulnerabilities trigger the need for Windows Onecare. And you're worrying that
Microsoft has once again put the gun to its own head, triggering anti-trust suits that will cause it to spend another
five years contemplating its bellybutton.

Those are the least of your worries. Windows OneCare may cause irreparable harm to your system.

[snip]

http://www.emailbattles.com/archive/battles/security_aaccdgaaff_dd/

- ferg

-- "Joe Jaroch (Tera Innovations, Inc.)" <security () terainnovations com> wrote:

Wondering... if Microsoft ends up having problems with OneCare, do you
think they are going to write 'TwoCare,' a fix for OneCare's problems?
Are we going to end up with a seemingly endless number of xCare products?

I do agree with a lot that Microsoft does, and I like what they have
done for the world of computing, but I feel that if Microsoft charges
for OneCare, they will have made a very bad move. You cannot sell a
product that fixes issues in another product that you have (Yes,
somewhat of a gray area with viruses, but still - to the public, it will
seem like Microsoft is charging them to fix problems that they put in.
And then, is Microsoft going to purposely make issues in Windows which
can only be solved by using OneCare? I hope that the world is more
ethical than that, but judging by what else is going on in the world - I
can't be too certain).

-Joe Jaroch
Tera Innovations, Incorporated.
http://www.terainnovations.com

Dude VanWinkle wrote:
This is definitely FUNNY!

-JP

From :http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/01/microsoft_anti-virus_public_beta/

Microsoft launches anti-virus public beta

Published Thursday 1st December 2005 09:55 GMT

Microsoft has released a free beta of its upcoming anti-virus application.

According to Microsoft, the new anti-virus application known as
Windows OneCare Live consumer beta is "like taking your PC in for a
tune up at the service station". The release is part of the
forthcoming Windows OneCare set of deliverables, and yesterday the
OneCare team admitted that some users may be put on waiting lists
while attempting to get the software in order for Microsoft to
determine its effectiveness.
Click Here

Microsoft announced in May that it would be releasing an anti-virus
application based on software developed by GeCad, a Romanian
anti-virus company that Microsoft purchased several years ago. (r)

[snip]

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net