funsec mailing list archives

Re: Some weekend entertainment

From: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 11:37:53 -0700

On 12/3/05, Hank Nussbacher <hank () efes iucc ac il> wrote:
On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Peter Kruse wrote:
I think this is a direct result of their research at Internet mapping:
http://www.netdimes.org/
They may have been brainstorming and saying "now that we have such a large
botnet under our control and we have mapped the Internet, what should we
do now?"

They probably should have fixed their site before mapping the entire
Internet ;-)

(from http://www.netdimes.org/data.php)
Warning: mysql_pconnect(): Lost connection to MySQL server during
query in /var/www/html/DIMES/data.php on line 169
Lost connection to MySQL server during query

and the answer probably was, "what if we converted these 30,000 systems
into honeypots and captured virii and ..."

LOL, that sounds like the most plausible explanation suggested. I hope
they decide against this, as their "wormholes" will be owned pretty
quickly, and actually be used to beat virus def's.  Imagine: you have
one network of machines distributing a package of signatures to detect
viri. Someone hijacks 1 machine and sends out a viri rather than a
signature update. Bam! Instant botnet!

 -JP
"Shut yer Wormholes"
-Captain Cisco