funsec mailing list archives

Re: Some weekend entertainment

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () efes iucc ac il>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 18:39:39 +0200 (IST)

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Peter Kruse wrote:

I think this is a direct result of their research at Internet mapping:
http://www.netdimes.org/
which is similar to SETI@home with 10s of thousands of users using their
PCs to map the Internet:
http://www.eng.tau.ac.il/~shavitt/Science813.pdf

They may have been brainstorming and saying "now that we have such a large
botnet under our control and we have mapped the Internet, what should we
do now?"

and the answer probably was, "what if we converted these 30,000 systems
into honeypots and captured virii and ..."

I guess that is how articles make it to Nature :-)

-Hank

Hi,

Whenever you get some spare time during the weekend, here's some interesting
reading:

How to immunize your computer

Model shows viruses can be beaten at their own game.
http://www.nature.com/news/2005/051128/full/051128-11.html

Cheers
Peter