funsec mailing list archives

Internet.na.us intenet.me.iq internet.uk.eu

From: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 14:59:33 -0700

Stories like these keep popping up:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/05/minc_icann_letter/

I know this has been talked about before, both on jabber and this
list, but this is starting to worry me. I had thought that ICANN and
IANA do not have to answer to any government, including my own. I
guess this opinion is not shared worldwide (big surprise).

At my last job plans were underway to separate business, resnet,
building controls, and academic/research networks. While I understand
that the Internet today has private offshoots (LambdaRail, SLR,
inet2.edu, etc) I am still wondering if this will further develop into
"separate but equal" Internet branches. This scares me when I take
into consideration what some countries (great firewall, *.tn, etc) do
when passed control.

It also scares me when I see what my government does when The People
stop paying attention or fighting for their rights. I can see a future
where national security dictates that we cannot browse foxnews.com or
cnn.com (depending on your demographic) and I wouldn't be surprised to
find that we are being blocked today from Al Queda sites (not as if I
could read them anyhoo, but still).

I remember someone mentioning that a service would probably be set up,
bridging the varying branches. Care to enumerate this view, and what
the structure would look like. How would it get around filters and
attempts to isolate it?

Since most of you have been around longer than me, I was wondering if
any of these types of issues has ever arisen before, say when the
Internet was being created or refined? There has to be a precedent in
which the way these types of affairs usually conclude or an impasse
which is usually reached. Care to enumerate?

-JP
"In my day the Government took the time to craft lies that I could
believe. It seems these days, they have just gotten lazy"
-JP

p.s.:
While I agree that it is important for people to be able to read in
their native language, I feel the Internet is a great way to develop
homogeny with human languages (preferably choosing my native language
as the standard, but I guess Chinese would be a more logical choice
;-).