funsec mailing list archives

Re: Internet.na.us intenet.me.iq internet.uk.eu

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 15:05:55 +0000 (GMT)

You are looking for censorship at the wrong places.  Have you ever
wondered why you cannot use Paypal for online gambling?

Yes, and I came up with the following.

Paypal is a private company, so they're not forced to accept any business
they don't want to accept, just like a restaurant isn't forced to serve
duck if they don't want to.

In particular, I would guess that with online gambling, there would be a
strong risk of chargebacks, where gamblers repudiate the card payment that
they made via Paypal. This means that someone who paid Paypal, can tell
their card company "that was an unauthorised billing", and Paypal has no
way to dispute this, and the money that Paypal thought they had, is sucked
out of Paypal's account by the credit card company. Paypal then takes the
loss, unless they can pass it on to the company they paid out. Worse - if
Paypal's chargeback level is high enough (I think the level is 2.5%) then
the card companies could decide that Paypal is a bad risk, and Paypal
becomes unable to accept credit cards, which would be a fatal situation
for them.

I don't think this is censorship, I think it's Paypal avoiding a business
area that is riskier (in terms of chargebacks) than they want to accept.