funsec mailing list archives

Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was: Get your computer viruses here!]

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:53:55 +0000 (GMT)

Here is how I changed my mind 180 degrees.

Sharing samples is a very problematic issue. It should be done with
care. Also, it should be done by the rules of the one sharing. Period.

Further, it should be done in a white-hat baby-ass clean manner.

Yes. But, as far as I can tell, the way this web site works, is anyone can
upload stuff and anyone can download stuff.

Is that "done with care"? Is that a "white-hat baby-ass clean manner"?

Still.. I don't know this guy and there are WAYS of doing it and ways of
being a blackhat.

He has a head-start as for most AV-ers he already is a blackhat.

Why is that?

Drsolly - you know what's out there, there are no longer practical
reasons to keep MOST samples hidden. The moral grounds collapsed 2 years
ago or so and traditions and marketing/status-fear keep it from changing.

If you re-examine this issue as not black and white and accept it is an
issue not to be addressed in ABSOLUTE MORALITY such as nuclear weapons,
I believe you will see it my way, or close.

As you know, I don't have any commercial interest in this field, and as a
linux user, I don't really have much of a victim-interest either. But it
still seems wrong to me (and probably illegal in some jurisdictions) to
set up an anyone-uploads, anyone-downloads web site. I know it's illegal
in the UK, for example.