funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was: Get your computer viruses here!]

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:01:40 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, val smith wrote:

The sources are the same as how I get samples.

nepethens, mwcollect, honeypots, google, attaching an unpatched windows
computer directly to the internet, asking around on IRC channels and
probably other methods.

Several of those methods don't even require a login or log IP addreses and
can be automated easilly.

Also RE the legality thing, I don't have any document. I actually spoke in
person with several people. If I felt I needed something in writing I would
get it and post it to the site, however so far this hasn't been necessary.

A verbal legal opinion is worth the paper it's written on. Get them to put
it in writing.