funsec mailing list archives

Re: Get your computer viruses here!

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:43:37 -0800

I don't know if he has a legal obligation to try and determine how his code is being used; the moral obligation is of course outside the realm of law and thus completely subjective, in the scheme of things. The futility and the moral hazards of trying to suppress the dissemination of information are well-documented (remember the debates over the _Anarchist's Cookbook_ in print media, and similar brouhahas online?); the 'cure' is often worse than the 'disease'.