funsec mailing list archives

Re: Get your computer viruses here!

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:16:01 +0000 (GMT)

I don't know if he has a legal obligation to try and determine how

Certainly in the UK, and I'd guess in the USA, the law has a concept with
a name like "criminal negligence", which is applied to a situation where
you could reasonably have known that your actions could lead to hazards
for other people, but you didn't take any reasonable precautions.

Here's "aiding and abetting"

http://criminal.findlaw.com/crimes/a-z/aiding_abetting_accessory.html

And here's "criminal negligence"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_negligence

I don't know the exact form of words that would be used in the USA for
this.

Any reasonable person could tell you that Blackhat McNasty will register
for this site using a false name and throwaway email address, download
some malware, and use that to damage other people's computers.

If the person running the web site has a legal opinion that he's in the
clear, I'd be interested to see a scan of that document. Could he,
perhaps, post it on his web site so that everyone can see it?

his code is being used; the moral obligation is of course outside the
realm of law and thus completely subjective, in the scheme of
things.  The futility and the moral hazards of trying to suppress the
dissemination of information are well-documented (remember the
debates over the _Anarchist's Cookbook_ in print media, and similar
brouhahas online?); the 'cure' is often worse than the 'disease'.

So, what is your objection (if you have one) to someone running a web site
with a huge and diverse collection of malicious software, and in giving
access to this site to anyone who want it?