funsec mailing list archives

Re: Get your computer viruses here!

From: val smith <mvalsmith () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:04:03 -0700

Wow I'm surprised you gave up on me so quickly if you feel so strongly about
the issue! Especially because you WERE having an effect. I was listening and
thinking about what your saying. In formal debate thats usually a big first
step.

I'd really like to meet this McNasty person, he sounds like quite a guy.

Ill say again, you might as well send google the same emails you are sending
me since Mr. McNasty (related to mcdonald maybe?) can do the same thing with
google.

Perhaps mr McNasty after seeing the great collaborative community that is
forming on OC would get inspired to give up his life of evil and start
helping out to improve security? If not at least I've done what I could to
influence him in a postive way.

I'd be really quite surprised, given your intention to run a malware
exchange open to anyone who wants to use it, if you'll get much in the way
of contributions.

I'm actually getting lots of contributions and feedback from some of the
people I respect most in the security community. Looks like the OC community
is growing in a positive way in spite of its evil possibilities. Ill be
honest I've gotten around 50 - 60 thousand hits, and tons of email and yours
has been the only negative one so far. Maybe the others who feel as you do
have given up already as well?

I guess what you haven't convinced me of yet is how "malware" is any
different from any other object in existance which can be used for both good
or evil. I could stand on the corner selling rocks which people could use to
study or to bash someone over the head with. How is that much different?

Just to be clear, in no way am I trying to "flame" you. I really do want a
diversity of ideas and opinions but I like to keep a bit of humor in any
debate. So please keep the thoughts coming, I'm greatly enjoying the
discussion.

V.